Training in Leh, India – Part 3

Hey everyone, Bailey again! The generator in Leh has been down for 2 days but here is the update of the past couple of days:

So, hello to everyone! I love and miss you all!! Everyday has been filled with amazing things here. Training at altitude has gone well but I have to say I am nervouse about the race This Saturday!! We leave Friday for our base camp where we will be camping with our crews. Then 6am Saturday morning I will be attempting to run a race that no one has done before. It is a daunting task but one that I am excited to begin. It is such a remote area…so beautiful, so unique. I am always nervous before a race and this race isn’t any different. I do have a great crew.

My whole crew, Billl and his crew and Mark Cockbain from Britian and his crew, went to see Lama Tsphael yesterday. When we got to the temple another Lama was there and said he was the only priest there that day. I was sooo disappointed!! I really wanted Lama Tsphael to bless our crews! So I walked out of the temple to tell the crews that they would not be meeting my Lama friend… I turned the corner and there was Lama Tsphael! He said he had a feeling he should stop by the temple on his day off and he spotted me! So He ended up blessing each one of us by tying a red sacred ribbon around our wrists. Then after the ceremony he pulled me and Bill aside and gave us special prayer beads. Saying good bye to him was really hard! He is like a family member to me we have gotten so close these last few days. He told me he will see me again…

Lama Tsphael left yesterday to go see His Holiness the Dahli Lama in a neighboring town. So I gave him a big hug goodbye. Then today all of us went up to Khardung La to train. It is a couple of hours from town. When we were coming back to Leh in our car caravan we stopped at a remote village for a quick break. It is in the middle of nowhere! I got out of the car and there he was!!! Lama Tspheal walking out of a little tea stall by the road!! He smiled and gave me a huge hug. All the crews were cracking up that he was there in the middle of nowhere. His driver had stopped there on their ride to see His Holiness. So, we laughed and visited… then when he was ready to leave, he looked at me, clasped my hands and said “I will see you again”…

This morning I went to the Shanti Stupa the giant temple at the top of the city of Leh. I went to a Buddhist prayer service at 5am. The monk giving the service is the founder of the Stupa. After the service ( there was about 6 of us in the temple) he asked the french guy behind me if he could please play his guitar for him. The french guy played a song that was lovely. Then the monk asked if he could play his guitar. The monk took the guitar and started playing classic guitar!! Absolutely flawless classical music. I thought I was in a dream . THEN he started playing Rolling Stones early music!

Okay, you all are probably thinking that I have gone mad and immersed myself into the Buddhist culture. But, the truth is, I am in my second week of living in a city that is the mecca of monks. It is a magical place and every day there is something new. I am so glad that I have all this positive energy before this daunting race. It gives me strength to be around all this incredible powerful and positive energy. This is truly a sacred place. I have never experienced anything like it.

I hope some of you will want to come back with me here next year.

Okay dear loved ones…generator going down!!


Trackback from your site.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.